My BFF Is Not a Person

Friends.  How do we make friends in the 21st century?  Friends are traditionally made through face-to-face gatherings, "in-person" gatherings as we've coined the term these days.  But social media giants like Facebook claim to make friendships happen virtually.  For the past three years, however, I didn't use Facebook.  In  fact, I backed up all my Facebook data and chose the most extreme form of Facebook abadonment:  I DELETED my account.  Instead of interacting with people online, I met neighborhood friends I saw in person.  I joined a band and made friends with our fans at gigs each week.  I exchanged numbers with moms I met at the playground.  I had people over for dinner.  I went to church.  

How'd it go?  I'm living proof that you can survive without Facebook.  Having a three-year hiatus from my Facebook friends helped me spend more time being fully present with my kids and husband.  I have no regrets.  But since we decided to move to Las Vegas a few months ago, we thought it would be prudent to get back on Facebook.  This was a networking strategy that would help us branch out and make connections in the new area.

This started out as a joyful reunion with folks I haven't spoken with in years.  But I'm feeling the constant temptation to open the app on my phone.  I knew I was headed down the wrong road when I started logging into Facebook first thing in the morning.  Whether looking for likes, or friend requests, or just seeing what my "friends" were posting, I was - once again -  seeking the "approval of man" first thing in the morning.  My motives were impure, and I realized that I was prone to contrary influences as I dipped into the cess pool of social media.  

Are you guilty of the same?  Do you prioritize interactions with mere acquaintances before speaking to God in the morning?  I know I'm guilty of this often.  But it needs to change.  

Here's what the Bible says about seeking "likes" and the approval of people:

"For do I now persuade ('seek approval' in other translations) men, or God?  Or do I seek to please men?  For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ." (Galations 1:10) 

Seeking the approval of God should be my primary concern in the morning, not seeking approval of my posts on social media, seeking likes, or seeking to impress others or brag.  

Jesus Christ is my BFF - best friend forever, in the purest sense of the word "forever."  He is the first "friend" I should make contact with in the morning.  The bible says:

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 6:33)

I have, for some time, tried to make these my guiding morning principles.  I try to get up early, no later than six in the morning, and I have a dialogue with God.  (Ok, I fail some days).  Facebook and Instagram can wait.  They are critical to networking but they can wait.  I study his Word, seeking His wisdom and grace each morning.  And I write about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Hay Bales to Street Lights

On Anxiety and the Zombification of Midlife